Merit-Based Scholarships for High School Seniors: With graduation right around the corner, you’re probably wondering how to pay for college without drowning in debt. The good news is there are scholarships out there based on your awesome GPA, test scores, talents, leadership skills – you name it.
In this article, you’ll discover some of the best merit scholarships specifically for standout high school seniors like you. We’ll talk application tips, deadlines, award amounts and more. Get ready to find scholarships that reward all your hard work over the past four years! Whether you’re an athlete, musician, activist or tech whiz, we’ve got you covered with 100 words on the most generous national and regional scholarships to add to your college fund.
What Are Merit-Based Scholarships?
Merit-based scholarships are financial awards given to students based on their achievements, skills, talents, and strengths. Unlike need-based scholarships which focus on a student’s financial situation, merit scholarships recognize what makes you stand out as an exceptional student.
Some typical criteria that merit scholarships may evaluate include:
- Academic performance such as GPA and standardized test scores
- Extracurricular involvement like sports, music, clubs, and volunteering
- Leadership experience from roles like team captain or club officer
- Talent and skills in areas like the arts, writing, technology, or trade skills
- Community service hours completed
The amount of merit scholarships varies widely from several hundred to tens of thousands of dollars. While competitive, they are an excellent way for strong students to fund their education and offset costs. Plus merit scholarships look great on college applications and resumes down the road.
When searching for merit scholarships, cast a wide net using free scholarship search tools. Check with your high school guidance counselor, clubs and organizations you are part of like 4-H or FFA, your parents’ employers, local civic groups, places of worship, and more. Keep an eye out for essay contests with scholarship awards too. Applying to many smaller awards adds up.
With some diligent searching and polished applications, securing merit scholarships is an achievable goal to make college more affordable through recognizing your hard work and talents as a student so far.
Benefits of Merit Scholarships for High Achievers
Merit scholarships can provide big rewards for your hard work in high school. As a high achiever, you’ve put in long hours studying, taken challenging courses, participated in extracurriculars, and aimed for standout test scores. Merit scholarships recognize all that effort. Here are some of the top benefits you can enjoy by earning these competitive college scholarships:
- Get free money for college. Merit scholarships help cover your college costs including tuition, room and board, books, and other expenses. This allows you to avoid taking on quite so many burdensome student loans.
- Choose from top schools. Winning prestigious merit scholarships can help you get into elite or out-of-state colleges you thought were out of reach. Schools actively compete for top scholars.
- Gain resume boosters. Scoring merit scholarships provides impressive additions to your applications for jobs, internships, or graduate school after college. These awards showcase your abilities.
- Receive public recognition. Your outstanding academic record in high school deserves accolades. Merit scholarships let colleges and communities acknowledge your successes.
- Access special programs. Some merit scholarship programs provide further opportunities like research, study abroad, mentoring and more. These perks take your college experience to the next level.
Adding a few merit scholarships to your college acceptances will make the difference in affordability, options and experiences.
Top 10 National Merit Scholarships
The National Merit Scholarship Corporation (NMSC) awards scholarships to high school students who excel academically and score highly on the PSAT/NMSQT exam. Here are 10 of the most prestigious national merit scholarships to consider applying for:
- National Merit $2500 Scholarship – With various corporate sponsors, NMSC gives out the largest number of scholarships based solely on PSAT scores and academics.
- National Merit Scholarship Corporation Scholarships – NMSC sponsors its own scholarships for finalists based on academic record, test scores, leadership, extracurriculars and personal essay.
- National Merit Lockheed Martin Scholarship – Awarded on academics and interest in engineering, math, computer science or science. Covers up to $40,000 of college costs.
- AXA Achievement Scholarship – For ambitious and determined students, awards up to $25,000. Leadership, extracurricular activities and character are also considered.
- National Merit Siemens Scholarship – Rewards students going into math, science, technology or engineering with up to $40,000 towards college.
- National Merit Coca-Cola Scholarship – Recognizes leadership and academics with awards starting at $20,000 for college expenses. Community service and extracurricular activities are also evaluated.
- Intel Science Talent Search Scholarships – Intel STS scholars demonstrate exceptional scientific research ability. Awards range from $5,000 – $100,000.
- Davidson Fellows Scholarship – For remarkable students under 18 who have completed significant work in math, science, technology, music, literature, philosophy or outside the academic arena. Awards up to $50,000.
- Regeneron Science Talent Search – Celebrates the best and brightest young scientists and their promising research. Nearly $3 million is awarded annually to top 40 scholars and their schools.
- National Merit IBM Scholarship – Technology-focused scholarship for high-achieving students pursuing computer science or engineering. Awards range from $500 – $2,000 per year.
With strong grades, test scores and extracurricular activities, high-achieving students can earn prestigious merit scholarships to help cover the rising costs of college tuition.